Switching back from Blender 2.53/2.54 Beta to 2.49b

I love Blender 2.5. I love the improved interface, the ease of use and configurability it allows. It’s a huge step forward from 2.49b.

However, I love using Yafaray and LuxRender. And constant updates to blender 2.5 is keeping the good folks from LuxRender and Yafaray from coming up with a “one-patch-fix-all” solution to the rendering exporters. I have spent countless hours trying to get LuxRender to work with Blender 2.5 beta (Of course it’s easy after you do it the first time!), but then the problem of having some features missing simply takes the fun out of rendering. I also realised I was spending too much time downloading various releases from Graphicall.org and trying them out rather than working on modeling.

So, with that, I’ll be using 2.49b until 2.5 comes out of beta and the exporters are in place.

PS: Any scene modeled in 2.5 might fail to load in 2.49b. I had the problem with a scene in which I had a wind generator. I went around this by exporting it to Collada format (.dae) and then importing it in 2.49b. Of course, I lost some of the settings in terms of textures etc, but it’s still better than not being able to work on it at all in 2.49b.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Switching back from Blender 2.53/2.54 Beta to 2.49b

  1. I feel your pain with using 2.5x, but for me it’s modeling. I’ve stuck with using 2.49b to model, but I’ll render in 2.54 using Blender Internal. The speed improvements are just too good to turn away from.

    But can you imagine how nice it will be when LuxRender and 2.5x play well with each-other, especially considering the introduction of GPU rendering. 🙂

    • I absolutely agree. 2.5 is so much more user friendly than 2.49. I love the search box that pops up when you hit space and being able to save user preferences is so convenient. But I’ve spent days trying to get Lux to work (seriously!). I couldn’t even find a working Yafaray solution. I thought I could import finished models into 2.49b and then render them, but my last model couldn’t be imported because of a Wind generator. That’s when I decided I was going to stick to 2.49b.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s